Friday, October 31, 2014

October

Happy Halloween, y’all.  Unlike the cold Halloween nights I’ve grown used to in Michigan, it’s a balmy 72 degrees here in New Orleans today. As late in autumn as it is now, this weather doesn’t feel quite right to me especially considering my mom sent me a picture this morning of snow on the ground back at home. I can’t complain though - I could probably wear shorts year round here. Anyway, the celebrations tonight should be a blast and for once I won’t have to wear 3 layers of clothing.
            Classes are continuing to go very well and even though our schedule is lighter in these last few blocks time doesn’t seem to slow down. After the finishing the cardio exam, it felt like a large weight off my shoulders knowing that a big portion of our grades are now determined. With the amount of studying I did for the cardio block, I felt very prepared and my grade reflected that. The addition of a new class during the renal block made me nervous for the exams, but it turned out to be less difficult than anticipated. In addition to the newness of the molecular and cellular pharmacology course, with only one confusing lecture for principles and my minimal knowledge of renal physiology, I was concerned when exam day came. The questions were straightforward though and all went well thankfully.
            Although the molecular and cellular course is a bit dry and I don’t enjoy it as much as the others, it certainly seems useful and valuable. Some of the material I am already familiar with but we are covering topics to a much greater level of detail and this will be particularly useful if I start research or lab work. Ideally I will begin research work this coming month because, after our first conversation, Dr. Mostany told me to come back and talk with him in November. He stressed the importance of being able to maintain high grades and that he would only want me to work if I have enough time on top of studying to make a commitment to the lab. I think that is really reasonable and good advice, and, after having settled into an academic routine over these few months, I do feel like I have enough spare time to commit to regular weekly hours in a lab. The moment of truth will be another conversation with him.

            Lastly, with regard to my volunteering, I should be starting work with Ochsner Baptist soon. I had the standard TB test in addition to some vaccines so within the next couple weeks I expect to have my department orientation and first shift in the ED. Looking forward to it and the tail end of this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment