Thursday, April 30, 2015

April - The End


It's incredible to think back to this point last year when I was just receiving my letter of acceptance for Tulane's master's program in pharmacology. At that point I never could have predicted what the year had in store for me. I'm really pleased by the way everything has turned out though. This program was a positive experience and I learned so much. Perhaps more importantly though, I proved to myself (and hopefully to some medical schools in the near future) that I have what it takes to succeed in a challenging academic medical environment. Considering how I stacked up against my classmates, I feel more confident in my ability to perform and compete in the potentially unforgiving medical school environment. In addition to all I learned about more drugs than I care to name and what I have learned about myself, I gained some practical experience as well by participating in lab research and volunteering in a hospital. Though I had some limited exposure to research previously, working in an academic research lab this semester has added to my understanding of research processes and to the collection of experiences that shape my personal development.

With my success in this program and a master's degree to my name, if I can put together a strong application and perform well on the MCAT, I believe I will have a good chance of being accepted to medical school. In the mean time, I also need to find a job that will provide me with some useful  medical experience. Lots of things to juggle, but at the same time I can look back on this year and appreciate that I am one step closer to achieving my goal of becoming a physician.  

Volunteer Hours:
Ochsner - 12 hours
Soil Collection Project - 2 hours
Total - 14 hours
Semester Total - 36 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment